(no-filtering, teacher-use-only, middle, high,
ThumbScribes is a platform for creating collaborative writing pieces.
Co+Create haiku, poems, short stories, flash fiction, novellas, and songs, real time or asynchronously with your computer, tablet, cell phone or even IM.
Moodle (elementary, middle, high)
Our district has 2 Moodle sites: a Student side as well as a Teacher side.
Moodle is an Open Source Course Management System (CMS), also known as a Learning Management System (LMS) or a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
The focus of the Moodle project is always on giving educators the best tools to manage and promote learning, but there are many ways to use Moodle:
- Moodle has features that allow it to scale to very large deployments and hundreds of thousands of students, yet it can also be used for a primary school or an education hobbyist.
- Many institutions use it as their platform to conduct fully online courses, while some use it simply to augment face-to-face courses (known as blended learning).
- Many of our users love to use the activity modules (such as forums, databases and wikis) to build richly collaborative communities of learning around their subject matter (in the social constructionist tradition), while others prefer to use Moodle as a way to deliver content to students (such as standard SCORM packages) and assess learning using assignments or quizzes.
In our district there are many teachers who use Moodle to facilitate their classes and use it in a variety of ways for student use. In addition, our teachers attend classes on the staff side to learn and collaborate with their colleagues as well.
Read the Words (no-filtering, middle, high, parent-permission-required, parent-permission-required-under-18)
Read the Words allows users to convert any text to speech.
From the website: What do people use ReadTheWords for?
Imagination is the only limit. Our nearly 100,000 members (and counting) use our text to speech service to create affirmations, create messages for their loved ones, convert books or articles into recordings, create pre-recorded messages for telephone response systems, teach pronunciation to kids, use it as an English learning tool and the list goes on and on.
Study Boost (13, no-filtering, elementary, middle, high, parent-permission-required-under-13)
Study Boost allows teachers to set up a set (or multiple sets) of study questions for their students. Students can then use one of several messaging programs, including Yahoo Messenger and Facebook messaging to receive and answer the study questions on their own time. Study Boost can be set up to give them feedback on incorrect answers or simply ask them to try again. The study question set is available on computers and mobile devices, wherever the students use messaging.
Wallwisher (13, under-13, no-filtering, elementary, middle, high)
Wallwisher allows users to Add virtual sticky notes to a collaborative bulletin board. It is easy to use and no login is required. It can be used for collaboration in any subject area, and in addition to text, photos and videos can be added to walls.
Vuvox (13, no-filtering, t high, parent-permission-required-under-18)
- Use COLLAGE to quickly produce dynamic interactive panoramas with hot-spots.
- Use STUDIO to build a personalized media presentation… and, place it in your COLLAGE.
- Use EXPRESS to build presentations with dynamic content from RSS feeds and online albums.
- Tap into CUT-OUT Express to use your photos as frames for slideshows.